Saturday, November 10, 2012

Butternut Squash Risotto

Autumn dishes are in fuuuulllll swing over here at my house. I'm cooking furiously on my days off from work to make sure I don't disappoint you all with a less than drool-worthy line up this year. Isn't that nice of me? If we're being honest, I'm being forced to do this early, since this year Travis and I will be in Seoul, Korea for Thanksgiving day and I won't be near a kitchen. What a horrible punishment I have given myself-- cooking autumn/Thanksgiving dishes early, pppsssshhhh, like I don't secretly love this 'punishment' and wish I didn't have a full time job so I could do nothing but cook and take pictures and write in my pajamas. All. Day. Long.

Ok so I really DO wish I didn't have a full time job so I could do nothing but cook and take pictures and write in my pajamas All. Day. Long. Doesn't that sound like one of the best jobs ever?? To me it does! Maybe one day someone will think it's worth their time and money to let me do just that, but until then, y'all are stuck with me as is.

I hope that realization doesn't depress you, because then you probably wouldn't be here in the first place. I am so glad that you are though, and while I am not joining the Facebook bandwagon and stating daily what I'm thankful for, I will emphasize here that I have been SO thankful to feel the love from around the world day in and day out. I look forward to reading comments every day and they certainly do make my day when I get them. "I-love-you-man" moments aside, I've had a blast starting the blog and look forward to continuing for a very long time.

Ok-onto the recipe for today: Butternut Squash Risotto. I'm kind of new to the risotto world, since my husband is of the mindset that if a main dish doesn't have meat in it, it's just a snack and doesn't truly qualify as a meal. But y'all... I have made this 3 times in the last 2 weeks. It is insanely good, and even better topped with some grilled chicken seasoned simply with salt and pepper. It's a wonderful way to utilize the winter squashes that are flooding the stores lately.

From some of the other risotto recipes I've tried out and picture research I've done online, it seems that the rice is supposed to end up very soupy, but I kind of prefer it a little less so. Not to say that I like it dry, because that is definitely not the case- I just need a Goldilocks-esque situation, ya know? I ended up using just over 6 cups of broth. Anyway, add more broth if you want it soupy, it's up to you! It'd be delish either way.

Butternut Squash Risotto

Adapted from Simply Recipes
Serves 4-6


6-8 cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegetarian option, and gluten-free stock for gluten-free version)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cups butternut squash, peeled, and finely diced
2 cups arborio rice (can substitute medium grained white rice, but arborio is preferred)
1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
1 teaspoon rosemary, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Salt to taste

Heat broth in medium sized saucepan and keep warm over low heat. Heat oil in a large saucepan; add onion and butternut squash. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add rice to onion and squash. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine. Cook, stirring constantly until wine has been absorbed by the rice or evaporated. Add a few ladles of broth; just enough to barely cover rice. Cook over medium heat until broth has been absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring rice, adding a little bit of broth at a time, cooking and stirring until it is absorbed, until the rice is tender, but still firm to the bite, about 15 to 20 minutes.

During the last minutes of cooking, add seasonings, mozzarella, and all but 2 tablespoons of Parmesan. At this point the rice should have a creamy consistency. Add salt to taste. Add a few more tablespoons of broth if the dish seems dry just before serving. Serve with remaining grated Parmesan.


**To add some more protein to the dish, either top or serve with grilled chicken or broiled shrimp seasoned with salt and pepper.

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm testing recipes now for Turkey Day and I think I'll try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hali! I think it would make a wonderful side dish if you're looking to twist things up and try something other than the usual macaroni and cheese! Hope you get to try it soon :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent recipe. Note that it's important to cut the butternut squash really small in order for it to cook all the way through to be done at the same time as the rice itself.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs